Thursday, November 17, 2011

Night

Today, I read a passage from Night, a memoir from Ellie Wiesel's Holocaust experience. Earlier in my life, I visited the United States Holocaust Memorial Museum, where there was an exhibit dedicated to Ellie Wiesel. He is a Jewish Nobel Peace Prize winner.

I feel that this passage mainly focuses on a woman that Wiesel knew, Mrs. Schächter. She had been separated from her husband and two of her sons by mistake. She was now with her 10-year-old son. Wiesel states that, "The separation had totally shattered her." Eventually, it becomes obvious that she has gone mad. She starts, screaming, "Look! Look at this fire! This terrible fire!! Have mercy on me!" There wasn't any fire, and it's clear that she is completely unaware of her surroundings. I have started to think that this is an average end to someone's life in the Holocaust. This seems like a horrible way to die. I feel terrible for her son, and this is a disturbing thing to have happen to a fragile, naïve child. This makes me wonder; how often did this type of thing happen? When did this woman die? What did she die from? These questions will almost definitely go unanswered. There were a few soldiers traveling with the prisoners. How could they see these things happening, and still deem it right to live the life of a Nazi?

This is a very sad passage. I am somewhat disturbed by it, but I am mostly saddened. I hope to read Wiesel's memoir some day. I am trying to prepare myself for the upcoming unit in school. It seems like it's going to be difficult for me to read about these wretched deeds.

2 comments:

  1. Great Job. I liked how you kind of took a different perspective to the story. I focused on the person who was narrating. But you said how it could also be about Mrs. Schachter. You put a lot of thought into this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Michael, I wonder if you see the connection between this woman's visions and the end of the chapter I gave you. The first thing they see as they get off the train is the smoke coming from the crematorium, and they smell the burning flesh. It seems as if she knew what was to come for her. Her vision was a foreshadowing of her fate. I wonder what you think about that. Thanks for your thoughtful feedback. I enjoyed reading your ideas.

    5/5 points.

    ReplyDelete